TCU held an hour-long scrimmage at Amon G. Carter Stadium Saturday to cap the Horned Frogs first week of summer practice. Here are some of the highlights:
- The scrimmage opened up with two pass completions from Andy Dalton to Ryan Christian. Christian took the second one across the middle in for a 60-yard touchdown.
- Freshman RB Ed Wesley, who opened eyes during spring practice, had a quality run around the right side to pick about 10 yards.
- Freshman RB Matthew Tucker, who has impressed all week, had several dynamic runs in the scrimmage. Tucker went for 30 yards on one run off the right tackle and stiff-armed his way for a nine-yard pick up on another.
- TE Corey Fuller made a brilliant diving catch on a slightly low and overthrown Yogi Gallegos' pass for 15 yards.
- Freshman SS Jurell Thompson, who had coaches on him all week while he tried to learn the position after starter Colin Jones went down Tuesday, got some revenge and praise after a solid hit knocked a ball loose from a receiver.
- DE Clarence Leatch laid a tough hit on Tucker at the line of scrimmage.
- Kicker Kevin Sharples made two of three field goal attempts from 52 yards.
- LB Greg Burks picked off QB Casey Pachall's pass and returned it for a touchdown.
- NT Henry Niutei tackled RB Aundre Dean for a loss.
- LB Tank Carder knocked a reception loose with a big hit on WR Bart Johnson.
A few lowlights:
- K Ross Evans missed all three of his 52-yard field goal attempts Saturday. The first two were wide right, the last one wide left. All three had enough distance.
- TE Corey Fuller dropped a sure big gainer when he found himself all alone on an out pattern but bobbled the pass.